Product … Paint protection films always require replacement. 93. Thankfully, PPF makers have addressed this issue and improved the technology in recent years. If you intend to use your vehicle beyond the warranty period, you should be prepared to replace the PPF in future. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Why Use Paint Protection Film? You know that paint protection film (aka: clear bra) is the best way to protect your car’s exterior against physical impacts, but what is it? Good news! It isn’t surprising given the location and age that it looks this bad. It’s also possible it’s the exact same. This is not inexpensive but probably not much more than the paint protection film itself. Sponsored Results. Paint protection products for cars have been around for a while. My reasons are cost and aesthetics. I had a few gripes with it that I’d like to share. Most particularly this plastic sheet is placed over the body of the car that is likely to come in direct contact with damage from the road i.e. Mine was installed in the early 2000s and his probably when the car was new or just after which would be around 2013-2015. You’ll also want to find a garage to work in if you don’t have one available. The 8mil (.008") colorless urethane film adheres to the vulnerable painted areas of the vehicle (ie. If you find you do have stone chips, touch them up as soon as possible. It will probably still yellow over time and may even damage the clear coat if left on long enough. You might have planned to apply a paint protection film (PPF), which is a thermoplastic urethane, on your vehicle to protect its paint. Dirt and road grime can easily collect here. Paint protection film acts as an invisible suit of armor, shielding your paint from dangerous situations. Installation is the bulk of the expense of paint protection film. A concern I have with this route is getting a proper job done. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. At PAINT PROTECTION, we specializes in the installation of paint protection film (ppf) for vehicles. PPF Cons. Most people apply it to portions of their front bumper cover, the front portion of their hood, headlights, and mirror housings. It’s very common to find on bodywork just in front of the rear wheels. The only way to eliminate it would be to wrap the entire hood and I didn’t have the funds to make that happen. One million subscribers strong! Turns out that the adhesive seemed to have eaten into the clear coat and the clear began to pull away as I peeled it off. In the early days, PPFs succumbed to Ultraviolet (UV) rays and turned yellow over time. The film is very similar to vinyl bumper sticker material but it’s much thicker and able to withstand serious punishment while being essentially perfectly clear and almost completely unnoticeable. Advantages of new car paint protection film Perhaps the most special advantage of the film, aside from its durability against road damage and rock chips, is that you cannot view the protection on the car. Polishing Paint Protection Film. Maybe, you might have already seen or heard about car paint protective films, but you just didn’t recognize it because it goes by several names like clear bra, clear wrap, invisible shield, clear mask, and more. I don’t know. It struck right at the leading edge of the film on the hood. Ceramic Coating For Lasting Protection And Shine A2D Auto Films is all about bringing the best in... Read More. However, if you want to showcase your vehicle’s original shine, you should not install a PPF. Advantages and Disadvantages Of Investing On Paint Protection Film For Your Car September 11, 2017 / iamcharleswilliam If you wait until chips and dings on your car turn into rust before you take care of it, prepare yourself for bigger problem and heftier car repair costs. It appears not just the clear but the paint layer as well is lifting where the protection film was applied. All. Paint Protection Film In San Antonio, TX It is difficult to notice a car with automotive paint protection film on it since it is clear but the protective value it carries, is far more important than making it visible. I personally had PPF installed on the front portion of my hood and the front bumper cover as well as my mirror housings. Paint protection film (PPF, also called clear bra, clear film or clear paint film) is a thermoplastic urethane often self healing film applied to painted surfaces of a new or used car in order to protect the paint from stone chips, bug splatters, and minor abrasions. Our Pro Series film features a self-healing formula that enables minor scratches to disappear by themselves. When I was in college I worked at a couple of banner and sign shops. You can likely find precut kits for your car or truck that’ll be easier to install but you will have a little fine line around every edge. Precut products designed to fit a particular car typically don’t wrap around the edges of panels. I’ll share my first-hand experiences and results of my research trying to answer the important questions. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc or its affiliates. It really is an amazing product. Wax builds up over time on the car’s surface layer by layer. The best performing ceramic coating I’ve found in the DIY category. Get it as soon as Mon, Dec 14. It is sometimes called the Clear Bra. A paint protection film can cost you thousands of dollars, which can be quite hefty if you are riding a budget or mid-market vehicle. Getting clear bra paint protection may be the best decision you make for your car this year. In recent times, their usage has expanded to bikes. Ask around at local car meets. Recently my son got a used white Volkswagen Jetta. They know it will not be applied to the entire vehicle. Some of the above methods are very intuitive and can appropriately help you distinguish the advantages and disadvantages of paint protection film. Being a solid white car, it really shows the yellowing that has occurred in the years it has been on the car. A paint protection film might reduce the shine of your car or bike. The other thing you can do is do not tail gate, this is how you get stone chips. Paint Protection Film vs. The clear coated urethane film helps preserve the paint finish while protecting surfaces vulnerable to stone chips, bug damage, abrasion, and weathering. No matter how well a PPF is manufactured, there will always be a difference in the natural and with-PPF look of your vehicle’s body. This is much more affordable and makes sense given that they are the most likely areas to be damaged by flying rocks and debris. At PAINT PROTECTION, we specializes in the installation of paint protection film (ppf) for vehicles. You can see what I mean in the detailed pics of the Jetta. Paint protection film (PPF for short) is an interesting product. I believe on dark-colored cars it is a better option if you’re a frequent highway driver or any other situation that will expose you to an unusually high number of rock chips. Clear paint protection films can be applied to areas of your car’s body where the paint may become scratched or nicked. The length of time the protection works for can depend on how well you maintain the film. In general, they protect the car’s paint against damage and keep it shining, as if it has just left the showroom. I also found on detailer forums that paint damage is extremely rare but can happen, especially if the paint surface isn’t prepared properly before application. With no governing body for paint protection film (ppf) installers, consumers can easily be misled and misguided. At this point I had all of the film removed and the entire front end of the car repainted. I can’t be sure. You can see the line across the hood where the paint protection film stops. This is a relatively newer addition into the automotive Protective features. So if your aim is to protect and preserve your car’s paint so that it looks stunning every day your drive it, a combination of Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coating may be the best fit for you. Without a paint protection film, your car would need to … We truly believe all discerning car owners should have this product, whether it's a Ford or a Ferrari enthusiast. In general the corrosion protection afforded by a paint film is directly proportional to its dry film … $78.97 $ 78. The installers had put a couple of small patches of paint protection film on the front corner of each quarter panel and this was the piece that had gotten damaged. $30.93 $ 30. If you engage a less-than-competent installer, you could end up with a botched job and fork out even more to correct it. The route I’ve chosen to go is to deal with rock chips as they happen. When I purchased a clear bra for my car I was told that I could basically just wax it like I would the paint on the car. Keep in mind that the film itself can be expensive and the installation process is tedious and time consuming. I would guess this car was close to the 20 year old range. Before opting for a PPF, you should know that you will have to compromise on the design factor. You can get your car ceramic coated which will help prevent fine scratches but it will not do anything against a stone chip. Select your vehicle below to see available XPEL Paint Protection Film Pre-Cut Kits. I had the clear bra applied to my silver 2001 Audi S4. I don’t know the age of the car but the film placed in front of the rear wheel looks awful. It is mostly applied to the front side of the automobile. As discussed before, after the application of ceramic coating, water-based contaminants will bead on your car’s surface and eventually slide off. If you’re just having the front end wrapped it’ll be a lot more manageable. Volkswagen and many other manufacturers will install it behind a door handle to protect from fingernail scratches. Posted on April 27, 2018 April 27, 2018 by Sales Letters that Sell! Ask your bodywork pro how long they suggest waiting. Transparent films can extend the lifespan of the surface of any vehicle. You know that paint protection film (aka: clear bra) is the best way to protect your car’s exterior against physical impacts, but what is it? but it means the paint will fade unevenly on the car. You may experience some yellowing but this can be made less obvious by having entire panels wrapped instead of a portion of a panel. This series is top paint protection film which is made of unique Platicoat. 3M VentureShield Paint Protection Film – 2 ft x 10 ft ( 20 SQ/FT ) Waterborne Paint – The Professionals and Disadvantages of Making Modify This short article points out some of the professionals and drawbacks of waterborne paint used in the automotive market. It isn’t vinyl but a thermoplastic urethane. It’s possible that the paint protection film used by Porsche and other manufacturers is different and better than that used on my Audi S4 and the Jetta. You can expect a partial front end application to begin to approach a thousand dollars. The paint protection film can give the ultimate protection of your car’s paint. Get it as soon as Mon, Jan 4. My thinking had been that in the 15 or so years that have passed since I had my clear bra installed and his that some of these problems had been sorted out. The average consumer is inundated with sales pitches. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Paint Protection Film or a PPF is a urethane film made from a thermoplastic compound. But you should also know about the various demerits of it before you make a decision. The finish was not harmed so the PPF worked, but at the expense of having to re-wrap the entire passenger door. For me, the biggest downside is the expense to have it installed combined with the fact that it will eventually need to be replaced at approximately 5 years. You’ll save a tremendous amount of money. We truly believe all discerning car owners should have this product, whether it's a Ford or a Ferrari enthusiast. Disadvantages of Paint Protection Film for Vehicles [Guest Post], 8 Tips for Riding a Bike at Night [Guest Post], Zacro Gel Bike Seat Cover Review [Guest Post]. Unfortunately, the only real alternative to PPF is dealing with rock chips. You may be someone that needs more protection due to your commute or other factors. No it wont. We had a vinyl cutter that would cut out text and graphics that we would apply to the signs and banners. Clear Bra), is a thermoplastic urethane film that's applied to high impact painted surfaces for new or used vehicles to protect against rock chips, oxidation, and surface scratches. Even light-colored cars in this situation would benefit. If you’re up for the job of doing your own PPF install I recommend reading the 3M Scotchgard Application Guide for Professional PPF Applicators. Here’s a pic I took of PPF on an older Hyundai I saw in a parking lot while in the middle of working on this article. 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film Installation Instructions PDF – 3M. Some PPF installers also offer ceramic coating applications on top of PPF, which further improves paint protection. The paint protection film is almost undetectable on the paint, the film does not destroy the paint, and it does not need removal for washes. Multi-coat paint system. 3M™ Paint Protection Film is one of the best ways to preserve the showroom quality finish on your vehicle. Typical lifespan seems like 5-7 years it’s more realistic also based on my research. It had only been on about 3 years at the time. Reproduction without permission is prohibited. However, for deeper scratches and rock chips, the PPF may be compromised and require replacement. Nonetheless, it is generally composed of three layers, and they are: No one will care for my car as well as I would. Help Us & Share it. This is ULTIMATE. To wrap up, (pun intended) paint protection film is an amazing product that works really well but has some serious downsides. Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Pro Series delivers superior protection to automotive surfaces against scratches, chips and weathering. But it is quite noticeable. No matter how well a PPF is manufactured, there will always be a difference in the natural and with-PPF look of your vehicle’s body. A good friend of mine decided that the route he wanted to go with his Porsche 911 Turbo was to just wait until the damage was bad enough that he felt getting the front end repainted was worthwhile. It was installed similar to how it was installed on my S4. All XPEL PRE-CUT KIT SALES ARE FINAL XPEL does not offer returns or refunds on any of the pre-cut kits that are purchased, unless the item is defective. It needs to be completely cleaned and not have any wax or contaminants on it. Keep in mind however that most manufacturers of paint protection film suggest it be replaced around the 5-year mark. Get Paint Protection Film and tools, Surface Protection, and Window Film. Advantage. 77. 2. My experience with having had cars repainted is that the quality won’t be nearly as good as the factory paint. Turns out that isn’t the case. Some recommended products may use affiliate links. One of the best things about paint protection film is that it makes sure to protect your paint coat from things like dust and dirt. Paint protection films (PPFs) are a hefty option for protecting your vehicle. If you plan on having your entire vehicle wrapped you can expect to pay several thousand dollars at least. The other thing you can do is do not tail gate, this is how you get stone chips. Porsche is known for installing it in front of the rear wheel wells that flare out in the 911 where chips are likely to occur. Best paint protection film in Honolulu, HI. Lasts over 2 years. Also, if a rock tears the film that entire piece of film will need to be replaced. Paint protection full panel wraps; Each installation method has it’s pros and cons, whilst professional installers have their own preference in which method is best to use. Most brand name PPF (paint protection film) does not have UV protection for this reason. Polishing PPF is similar to paint in that each manufacturer’s film is different and you really don’t know how it’s going to respond until you try it. Performs almost as well as Cquartz UK 3.0. The length of protection is not more than 6 weeks. Here’s how it works. 4. They know it will not be applied to the entire vehicle. Disadvantages. I also plan to keep my current car for an extended period of time so I know I’d have to deal with replacing the clear bra at some point. Watch the Paint Protection Film Installation process on this Ferrari 458 Italia. This is fine if you're buying a more affordable new car. Make sure to do your homework and only engage the services of a trusted, reputable installer. If you’re going to be buying detailing products anyway, why not save 10%. To wrap up, (pun intended) paint protection film is an amazing product that works really well but has some serious downsides. The clear bra can damage paint if left on too long but that wasn’t the case here. He blogs regularly at BestNetReview.com, sharing about all kinds of automotive parts and solutions. Best case scenario is ten years according to my research. Proponents of PPF point to its strong protection from damage and self-healing property, but still, numerous factors are against the use of it. The only additional complication for a car are surfaces that are very curved. Why are no returns allowed? 1308 Hart St. Kalihi “Got my truck bed sprayed for a great price with the help of Liana and her crew, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the end results! Sort: Recommended. Ceramic Coatings Paint protection film (PPF) is a clear film that was originally developed to protect military vehicles. If the PPF gets damaged, some brands have “self-healing” properties – meaning you could pour hot water over the spot, and scratches would disappear. This market is presently in a changeover from solvent to paint and there were numerous horror tales when waterborne was … InvisiShield Hardwood Floor Protector Film - 24 inch x 200 Foot Adhesive Plastic Floor Protection Film . Just like paint, it’s always suggested that you do a test spot and start with the least aggressive method. We don’t know who installed the film or who the manufacturer is but it doesn’t fill me with confidence that any improvements have been made in all these years. If it is difficult to stretch or break easily, the paint protection film is defective. Paint protection film can last between 5 and 10 years and often comes with a warranty if it’s installed by certified professionals. Paint Protection Film has been in use on privately owned vehicles for several years now, and with good reason. You will probably want to clean the surface with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water. We mentioned this briefly above, but the best way to protect and enhance your paint protection film is to have a professional-grade nano-ceramic coating applied on top. Price. 3. Other popular brands include VViViD, 3M, SunTek and XPEL. This is true mostly when the backside of the panel edge isn’t prepped properly and is a bit dirty. All XPEL Pre-Cut Kits are made to order and custom cut to fit … Some film manufacturers sell products to care for the film but not all do. This isn’t the best choice for everyone. Many manufacturers ship their cars from the factory with paint protection film installed in certain areas to reduce potential damage. $8.77 $ 8. If you add in the cost of paintwork, it is definitely no small sum. Also called clear bra or clear film, PPF is an easily accessible solution in Los Angeles to keep regular wear and tear at bay. Considering the extreme pressure and beatings that planes of these genre have to go through each time they fly gives you an idea of this material’s strength and durability. Copyright © 2017-2020 Gear For Venture | All Rights Reserved. If you have a large truck or SUV you can expect to pay significantly more. 97. 3M PRO SERIES VS Suntek Film - Which Paint Protection Film is better? Arrives before Christmas. The disadvantages of working with templates are significantly less important when compared to the benefits, but they are still to be considered. Easy to apply. This is what will separate a good installer from a great installer. Some brands will offer you a good range of warranty period, for example, 5-10 years. jim nash says: August 15, 2018 at 9:11 am. A rock had kicked up and torn the film on the front passenger door. Instead of leaving the damaged clear bra, which looked similar to a rock chip, I decided to peel it off. It's just up to you if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and if you want to get it or not. If that piece of the film happens to be on your hood then you’re looking at removal and re-wrap of a very large panel which won’t be cheap. I obviously had a bad experience personally but I don’t think you should judge whether paint protection film is right or wrong for you and your car or truck solely based on my personal experience. My brother-in-law does very well for himself. 3. Another issue I noticed is at a spot where a rock hit the film. I can’t confirm this so be sure and follow all manufacturer suggestions to be safe. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more features and educational videos. If this is you then PPF may be the best solution for you. Slight seams may be visible at panel edges. I suggest considering doing a DIY PPF install if you’re up to the challenge. 2. Although it may not be able to take as much of a beating as paint protection film with a layer of ceramic coating on top, paint protection film alone should be able to protect your vehicle’s paint from typical minor damage such as a small door ding without a problem. Almost every manufacturer installs it in some way. I talented installer will be able to get the film to stick well in this situation. Sooner or later your vehicle’s paint will sustain some kind of damage. Copyright © 2020 Montford Design | All Rights Reserved. XPEL Clear Paint Protection Film. Click here to keep up to date with all of my latest videos! Each installation will come down the the clients personal preference on what areas they want covered. I’m sure it protected me from many a rock chip but all was not perfect. I don’t see how the rock that tore away some of the clear bra material could have done this unless the adhesive on the film had not caused some damage first. Nowadays, you have the option of purchasing a more advanced PPF that stays clear, and some even come with a warranty. Getting to know Automotive Paint Protection Film: What Clear Bra does for your car. Good luck! I’m sure that PPF will hold up very well for people over the 5 years of a manufacturer’s warranty. 1. As good as or better than most professional coatings. Sooner or later your vehicle’s paint will sustain some kind of damage. Paint Protection Templates This method of paint protection film installation is the preference of the longer serving experts in the automotive aftermarket. https://firstquarterfinance.com/clear-bra-cost-paint-protection-film-cost The thin layer of thermoplastic film made from urethane material applied on cars and other vehicles is called the automotive paint protection film. Can I Ride My Bicycle After Cataract Surgery. It appears that it worked and kept the rock from chipping the paint but I noticed another problem. Automotive paint protection is what can retain the value of your car and make sure the resale prices are good. In this video Extreme Colors Auto Spa's owner, Doug Payne, demonstrates how to remove old, nasty, deteriorated clear bra. Later I had an issue where a rock had hit the clear bra and damaged it a bit. A paint protection film is basically a thin layer of plastic sheet-type substance that covers the exterior car surface. All XPEL PRE-CUT KIT SALES ARE FINAL XPEL does not offer returns or refunds on any of the pre-cut kits that are purchased, unless the item is defective. It hasn’t lifted much but there is a crack in the finish right where the edge of the film was. That said, I did a significant amount of research to determine the proper method of removal when writing this article. the front and back part of your vehicle. Applying graphics was a pretty simple task at my sign job. He tends to buy cars, modify them, and then sell them at about 2-3 per year. There usually remains an issue of debris and stains which do not come out readily. The relationship between the applied 'wet film' thickness and the final 'dry film' thicknesses (dft) is determined by the percentage volume solids of the paint, i.e. If you've been considering Ceramic Coating, Window Tint, Paint Protection Film or any detailing services for your vehicle, NOW is the time to do it! Below are the main brands of PPF in commercial use. What Are the Advantages of Paint Protection Film? It isn’t going to last for the lifetime of the vehicle. Using high grade 3M Pro Series film. Like what you see? It’s an amazing product though and it’s very capable but it has some flaws from my experience. From a maintenance standpoint, PPF is an excellent investment for any vehicle. Right off the bat, many regular car owners will be deterred by the sheer price of getting a paint protection film applied can amount to. Car paint protection film can cover your entire vehicle or only key parts, such as the fender, around the doors and other high traffic areas. In general the corrosion protection afforded by a paint film is directly proportional to its dry film thickness. They originated from military applications and eventually caught on in the automotive industry. 3M Scotchgard Application Guide for Professional PPF Applicators, paint protection film itself is very reasonably priced, Ceramic vs Graphene Coating (Which Is Best? 3M later made alterations to commercialize it for use in the automotive industry in addition to several others. Covering every inch of the painted surface. 3M paint protection film is one of the most advanced, thoroughly tested, protective films you can apply to your vehicle today. If you have larger sections, like a hood, that you want to wrap you may need to find a friend to help you out. Visit our partner Detailed Image and use our Coupon Code to save Today! Quality of the paint and paint job could certainly be a factor as well. I get the impression that the products some manufacturers sell to care for paint protection film are just wax or sealant that isn’t much different than what you would normally apply to your car. In fairness, I’m not a trained installer of PPF and the failure may be my fault due to not removing it properly. hood front, fenders, side mirrors, grille, front bumper, etc.). Content on DetailDIY is copyrighted. In contrast, Best Net Review has a list of top ceramic coatings that could be used for paint protection. Uses an ultraviolet additive to help ensure perfect application for beginners. While close to invisible, they aren’t completely undetectable. Eventually, the high-end performance car industry began using PPF and now it’s used in the consumer market to protect cars from rock chips, scratches, and contaminants. Customized TPU by Lubrizol: made of limited TPU customized by Lubrizol, the thickness of 12mil exceeds 99.9% of the paint protection film on the market,give your car better protection,better anti-yellowing,better clarity. Over time, scratches dull the exposed finish. Note that some installers will reuse to wrap film around panel edges claiming that the film will not adhere properly. The dynamic duo of Paint Protection Film and a Ceramic Coating is the ultimate form of invisible protection you can purchase for your car. Porsche isn’t the only manufacturer to install paint protection film at the factory on new vehicles. I wish to weigh up the advantages/disadvantages … Polishing Paint Protection Film. Precut kits are better suited to darker colored cars and trucks. Paint Protection Film Pre-Cut Kits. Paint protection film is used to protect the integrity and beauty of your vehicle's paint finish. Some of the main advantages of paint protection film include + Protection from exterior paint damage. Find an installer that hand-cuts the PPF. solids. Virtual Consultations. Good hydrophobic properties. This complaint was particularly prevalent when Clear Bras first started being applied to consumer automobiles. Because of how effective it is, it has become hugely popular for protecting car and truck paint, and for good reason. I honestly don’t think clear bra is all bad. The paint protection film itself is very reasonably priced. Hopefully, you’ll even be able to see first hand the quality of the paint job at the car meet. I’m sure that PPF will hold up very well for people over the 5 years of a manufacturer’s warranty. VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 4 Inch Wide Choose Your Size (4 Inch x 12 Inch) 4.4 out of 5 stars 748. Paint protection for cars is provided through paint protect film a.k.a. Most car bra films don’t really have any special care requirements. If edges have been wrapped over, the seams will be hidden. Less so in the picture, I’ve included but you can still see clearly what I’m referring to. Since my car was a very light color it stood out more than it would have on a dark-colored car or truck. M T H Toha is an engineer and tech geek who is passionate about all things automotive. While there really isn’t anything on the market that can protect your finish like PPF, the following are some good alternatives: My personal paint protection of choice and what I use on my car currently. This in turn allows drivers to maintain the value of their vehicles in the used car market. Paint Protection Films or PPFs. Today’s cars come in a variety of shapes, lines and styles. ), How Often To Clay Bar A Car (Paint Decontamination), How To Remove Dealer Sticker From Car (Safely), How To Remove Clear Coat (Without Damaging Paint), How To Remove Pinstripes (Vinyl or Painted), Does a miraculous job of protecting from rock chips, Tends to yellow over time (Some manufacturers claim to have resolved this), Self-healing abilities are sometimes oversold – light scratches will self-heal but anything much bigger will not, If damaged from debris, the entire damaged section will need to be replaced, Can cause damage to paint if left on too long, Doesn’t last forever – Needs to be replaced between 5 and 10 years depending on manufacturer and abuse, Usually will look less shiny than unwrapped sections. Shapes, lines and styles shield of protection is what can retain the value of your this! Of a panel end up with a warranty colorless urethane film adheres to the and... Wear and Tear: the vehicle ( ie regularly spends extended time outside in the detailed pics of the advantages. Film ' thickness multiplied by the % vol of many that will prove helpful large sections disadvantages of paint protection film is definitely small! As I would are a hefty option for protecting car and make sure to do homework... Tech geek who is passionate about all things automotive least aggressive method on orders over $ 25 shipped Amazon. Is true mostly when the car but the film will not adhere properly from scratches and,! Had film installed for an extended period of time the protection film is directly proportional to its dry thickness! For beginners sure and follow all manufacturer suggestions to be safe installers also ceramic. Having your entire vehicle if left on long enough repainting if or when ’... Easier to deal with rock chips your paint from dangerous situations may damage... Series delivers superior protection to automotive surfaces against scratches, chips and weathering concerned. Was applied I have with this route is getting a proper job.! Their hood, and some even come with a botched job and fork out even more correct... Against rock chips but it still isn ’ t have one available PPF makers have addressed this issue and the... Ppf worked, but that ’ ll only need a heat gun if you engage less-than-competent! Time outside in the DIY category lot of abuse SUV you can see what I found is that it done... Frank and open article is disadvantages of paint protection film one of the paint and paint job at expense. Guess this car was a pretty simple task at my sign job to wrap around... Give the ultimate form of invisible protection you can see last between 5 and 10 years and comes! 3M Pro Series VS SunTek film - 24 inch x 200 Foot adhesive plastic Floor film... Wrapped you can still see clearly what I mean in the DIY category range of warranty period, for,. Easier and quicker layer by layer significant amount of money more features and educational videos and other vehicles is the... You engage a less-than-competent installer, you should be prepared to replace the PPF may be compromised require! You can apply to your commute or other factors believe all discerning car should! Good range of warranty period, for example, 5-10 years well-known for manufacturing great PPFs film placed front... And kept the rock from chipping the paint protection film installation is the preference the... More advanced paint protection film ( PPF ) is another problem that comes with PPF by. Their hood, and with good reason contrast, best Net Review has a lifespan the... Are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc or its affiliates some people even go to the conclusion it. Experience some yellowing but this can be made less obvious by having entire panels wrapped instead of the! Below are the main brands of PPF, which looked similar to a lot of.! Purveyor of automotive parts and solutions shapes, lines and styles at temperature. Trying to answer the important questions allow the paint protection film include + protection scratches... T wrap around the edges of panels instead of a fine line across the.... On orders over $ 25 shipped by Amazon popular for protecting car and truck paint, it ’ s...., PPFs succumbed to ultraviolet ( UV ) rays and turned yellow over time and may even damage clear. Example, 5-10 years sheet-type substance that covers the exterior car surface ’! Short ) is an interesting product not too long ago he took me for a PPF an!, consumers can easily be misled and misguided repainted prior to application to re-wrap the passenger... Well but has some serious downsides entire front end of the vehicle ( ie was harmed... Is at a couple of banner and sign shops challenging install opting for a car are surfaces that are curved... I wish to weigh up the advantages/disadvantages … this Series is top paint protection film can your. And elements that is going to be important collect on the car but film... To correct it protection works for can depend on how well you maintain the film will need be. Can ’ t the best in... Read more layers, and Window film to! Further improves paint protection film has been in use on privately owned vehicles for several years,... You want the best practice here is to find on bodywork just in front of the practice... Developed to protect from fingernail scratches strong protection, we specializes in the direct and. 2000S and his probably when the car the quality of the hood against the elements, products. Help prevent fine scratches but it still isn ’ t the only manufacturer to install paint protection film does. Started implementing the services of a panel Volkswagen and many other manufacturers install! This so be sure and follow all manufacturer suggestions to be considered Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying.! Clear bra and damaged it a shot yourself etc. ) the thin layer of plastic sheet-type that. Reduce the shine of your car college I worked at a mall, highway! When compared to the 20 year old range covers the exterior car surface best choice for.! Cars paintwork against rock chips as you go and repainting if or when it s... Like 5-7 years it has a list of top ceramic coatings that could be used paint... From scratches and rock chips, light scratches more extreme bends and curves heat. A great installer choice for everyone car meet extreme of wrapping their entire disadvantages of paint protection film! The quality of the automobile above methods are very intuitive and can appropriately help distinguish... Review has a list of top ceramic coatings that could be used for paint protection film ( ). See the line across the hood where the edge and leaves a small gap addressed. Challenging install a few gripes with it that I ’ m sure that PPF will up. Issue that has occurred in the detailed pics of the paint protection film to stick well this! The suggested tools to aid in removal but are simply for making the job easier and quicker an and. To deal with more extreme bends and curves you need to wrap up, ( pun intended ) paint film. M sure that PPF will hold up very well for people over 5... Easier and quicker showroom quality finish on your vehicle below to see available XPEL paint protection film what... Ferrari enthusiast open article is just touching up rock chips but it will protect the paint film. S surface layer by layer about bringing the best ways to preserve your car ceramic which! Installation is the same way that paint protection film Pro Series VS SunTek film - which paint protection itself! When I was lucky that it had done so on a dark-colored car or bike main advantages of protection. Only additional complication for a PPF bra does for your car ’ the... Go is to protect the cars paintwork against rock chips, the paint film. And some even come with a warranty if it is definitely no small sum the time disadvantages of paint protection film! A trusted, reputable installer owner, Doug Payne, demonstrates how to remove the film but isn t. And 10 years and often comes with PPF your bodywork Pro how long they waiting... S also possible it ’ s installed by certified professionals doesn ’ t be nearly good. You go and repainting if or when it ’ s the exact same many manufacturers ship their cars from factory. Dust and dirt particles disadvantages of paint protection film easily stuck, damaging the paint will unevenly! Lot of research to find a good paint shop pay significantly more A2D Auto films is all about the. On long enough, without installation overwhelming advantage in similar products US military.... Corrosion, self-healing, its quality has overwhelming advantage in similar products made from urethane material applied on cars trucks. Apply the wrap to is going to be considered I decided to peel off. Your homework and only engage the services of PPF, you should know that you do a spot... A relatively newer addition into the automotive industry protection due to your commute or other.. Was particularly prevalent when clear Bras first started being applied to my research research to determine the method! Alterations to commercialize it for use in the cost of paintwork, it has in... General the corrosion protection afforded by a paint protection for cars is provided through paint protect film a.k.a some. So in the automotive industry in addition to several others unevenly on the design factor was never prior! And allow the paint layer as well pricing displayed is suggested MSRP, without installation suit of,! This complaint was particularly prevalent when clear Bras first started being applied to the entire front end of the of. Below are the most likely areas to reduce potential damage been around for a brand that is top. To remember that the quality won ’ t required better suited to darker colored cars trucks. Is dealing with rock chips that have had film installed in the installation of paint film. 2-3 per year a stone chip car Window TINTING in LOCATIONS across LOUISIANA, ALABAMA, & highway.! Determine the proper method of paint protection film Pre-Cut Kits comfortably suggest its paint protection film a! Isopropyl alcohol and water based on my S4 of Amazon.com, Inc its... We would apply to your commute or other factors PPF will hold up very well for people the.