For the greens, you can either steam them for 5-7 minutes, or sauté with some oil in a large skillet. My king oysters are really large (only 2, but sliced into 16 pieces apprx 2-3cm). For me I know what I would like, a bowl of this incredibly colorful Tofu and King Oyster Mushroom. It's simple and good for health. This dish is absolutely marvelous, I cooked it for our anniversary dinner last night. I will make it. Add the shredded mushrooms and mix through well. Thanks for the rating! Lots of steps & pans but a joy to make with my mom during quarantine. Three stars for the great mushrooms, no stars for the ingredients. My growing dissatisfaction with not doing work that I considered to be my calling while waiting for the ideal opportunity to come along prompted me to take a leap and upend my routine last year. First up get your pasta cooking to the packet instructions. Thanks for all the good info. Needless to say, the job market in France does not mirror that of the US. Your email address will not be published. Cut the onion in half lengthwise from root to stem, then quarter each half lengthwise. All rights reserved. […]. Pancakes 4 onions, cut thinly 4 garlic cloves, chopped or diced 4 king oyster mushrooms, cut 350g medium firm tofu, crumbled Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. I love the use of the mushrooms to replace scallops! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Finding work in France has never been difficult. Now let’s talk about food, these bowls have sautéed king oyster mushrooms, spicy peanut tofu, steamed baby bok choy and soba noodles flavored with a drizzle of sesame oil and chives. Then remove the tofu and drain. Have garlic, chillies, wood ear mushroom & scallion prepared. Hint hint! Add the tofu with the marinade and shallow-fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure the tofu doesn’t burn or stick to the skillet. Heat up the wok until smoking then add in a tbs of cooking oil and spread it evenly , loosen the drained rice vermicelli and spread across the wok, turn the heat down and allow the noodles to toast gently until golden at the bottom, flip over and repeat the same on the other side. Worried about diluting marinade with those extra 5 drops of water? Add one tablespoon of soy sauce, one tablespoon of oil consumption, stir-fry evenly. Method. Now that I’m all settled in I should be able to post more regularly, and maybe veganize some dutch recipes in the future! Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add the fried tofu, mushrooms, carrots, onions and enough of the boiled water to cover about ¾ of the ingredients in the pot. Slice the stem of the mushrooms into ¾ cm rounds and the mushroom caps the same thickness. In the meantime, prepare the tofu marinade. I have kelp flakes and laver which I could make into flakes. I didn’t know what to do with my king oyster mushrooms and happened upon your website. 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the mushrooms back to the wok, along with the light soy sauce and ½ teaspoon sugar. Thats what I like about these dishes simple elegance but packed with fresh balanced flavors, and a bonus , beautiful to the eye! Wow!! Sorry to hear you didn’t like this recipe Tracy! Great recipe. This was a great recipe! Use middle fire and fry one side until slightly seared and then turn over the fry the other side. Press the tofu for 10-15 minutes. Add mushrooms, water, mushroom broth granules and cook until softened and juicy, about 10 minutes. That sounds like a Christmas feast! easy and yummy way to cook tofu! There are many different kinds of tofu that you can get in asian groceries. Drain the tofu well. Glad to hear you liked both recipes , The king oyster scallops worked really well but the tofu is the star excellent marinade. Loved this whole bowl. You’re welcome Robert! Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium high heat until warm. Heat up the oil over high heat in a medium sized cooking pot and add the lemongrass, chili peppers, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Line a plate with paper towel, place the tofu on top, add another layer of paper towel and place something heavy on top, like an iron skillet for example. The labor market here lacks the diversity seen in the US and is woefully resistant to change. Brush the mushrooms lightly with oil if needed. But, setting agressive daily word count goals and mustering up some serious self-motivation, I surprised myself by crossing the finish line with high marks! Vietnamese-American epicurean with a taste for home cooked meals & culinary stories living in Paris. Tasty, healthy and nutritious! For the greens and grains I went with baby bok choy and buckwheat noodles, feel free to use what you have on hand, like spinach or kale, and quinoa or brown rice, it’s up to you. Terrific recipe. I have also, of course, been cooking quite a bit and playing around with new recipe ideas. Umami-packed bowls with sautéed vegan scallops, spicy peanut tofu, soba noodles and steamed greens. In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, maple syrup, sesame oil and sriracha. Allow to simmer for about 12-15 minutes. I'm Thomas, welcome to my blog! What a lovely dish! Cover and stew for a few minutes (about 2 minutes). They are very versatile in cooking. Here I went with dulse seaweed flakes, but nori or kelp should work well! Prepare the aromatics and mix all the seasonings in a bowl and mix well. Once hot, add the king oyster mushrooms and cook each side for 4-5 minutes, until soft and golden brown. I recommend keeping the marinade and drizzle it on the mushrooms after cooking to add even more taste. Cook them too! 3. Thanks for the awesome recipe! Hey! Drain and drizzle with sesame oil, stir to coat. Living in this progressive university town nestled at the foot of the French Alps with 360° views of the mountain range gave me a taste of French academics as well as every bit of the respite that I needed from Paris. Tag @fullofplants on Instagram and hashtag it #fullofplants, Your email address will not be published. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Once fragrant, stir in the bột bò kho and reduce the heat to medium high. After spending the better part of this year engrossed in intense coursework, interning, thesis writing, and preparing for the oral defense, my French academic journey finally came to a succesful end a couple of weeks ago. The easiest way to have everything ready and still warm when serving is to let the the king oyster mushrooms and tofu marinade while you prepare the greens and grains. I have been bookmarked Mrs NgSK’s butter cake for so long. Five stars! Very satisfying meal! Drain the king oyster but keep the marinade, we will use it later to drizzle the cooked mushrooms for added flavor. The spices of lemongrass, chili peppers, and fish sauce have my tastebuds in a frenzy. Then, add in minced pork. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. My husband and I agree that this is one of our most favorite recipes! But king oyster mushroom has really nice texture and flavour to it. Jun 9, 2016 - In this dish, tofu is stir-fried until golden and served in a thick umami-flavored sauce. Sometimes a change in scenery and life path can open new doors and possiblities plus hone in on what one really wants out of life. Discard the seaweed and set aside. I have tried other recipes for King mushrooms that were so much better. I just made this recipe again (added some fresh grated ginger to the tofu mix.) Hi, what kind of seaweed flakes do you recommend? Add the first batch mushrooms in 1 layer, leaving them a little space to breathe so the mushrooms fry rather than steam. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Stir in chilli flakes and black pepper and cook for another 2 minutes. Well Done! Looking for oyster mushroom recipes? Allrecipes has more than 30 trusted oyster mushroom recipes complete with ratings, reviews and serving tips. The challenge has always been finding a position that was well aligned with my interests and skill set. I was also craving a change of scenery. Remove from … In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. Brush some oil in a pan and place the king oyster mushrooms in. As eager as I was to get back to my blog and share my recipes again, the last leg of the master’s program zapped all of my energy and I had developed a bit of an aversion to sitting in front of my computer after doing so for months. Shred the king oyster mushrooms. Thanks! Then cook the mushrooms and tofu just before serving. I also love all kinds of tofu. Shred mushrooms, and then heat up cast iron pan until wicked hot. Add all the marinade ingredients into a large bowl. Then cook the mushrooms and tofu just before serving. Not having seaweed flakes, I mush admit that I resorted to using two sheets of nori instead (and I realize now that I forgot to add the lemon juice after brining the marinade to boiling). It is difficult to make these taste badly, but this recipe doesn’t do much for the taste at all. Then add one tablespoon of soy sauce and oyster sauce on the tofu. The dish packs such a punch that you may even forget that you’re eating a vegetarian dish! Next time I’ll try dulse! Finish by garnishing with finely chopped basil and culontro. Your email address will not be published. Thank you for sharing this delightful-looking recipe. I couldn’t find King Oyster Mushrooms, but I was able to find King Trumpet Mushrooms. Scallops are too expensive, and this ‘mock scallop’ recipe is an excellent replacement. Add 2 … If you have any pointers about the difference though, I’d gladly accept them! Any replacement suggestions? Can’t wait to see how it turns out! As soon as it boils, remove from heat and let cool 10-15 minutes before stirring in the lemon juice. I would assume they taste pretty similar but I have never them. Also don’t discard tops of the mushrooms! 10 Oyster Mushroom Recipes You'll Want To Make Again and Again Take tbsp out of a cup! This dish is so homey! Slice the carrots into ½ cm rounds. As alluring as Paris may be to the tourist’s eye, the constant hustle and bustle can leave one feeling frazzled. Place the mushroom in the hot oil. As the juice dried out around the mushrooms, I would add a little of the reducing marinade to the pan and repeated until all the marinade was used up. You’re welcome Brigitte, thanks for your feedback! Perhaps an idea of weight might help the recipe. Added grated ginger to the peanut sauce as suggested by another commenter. Your email address will not be published. Divide the noodles into 3 bowls, add the baby bok choy or spinach and top with tofu and king oyster scallops. When my friend Kat came over I decided to make mushrooms pancakes. As the looming deadline approached, I started to run out of steam and wasn’t even sure if I had it in me to finish the thesis. King oyster mushrooms are larger, firmer mushrooms and they have a texture similar to seafood (think scallops) when cooked. I’m still trying to figure out what I want the next chapter of my life to look like.This dish is one of my favorite meat-free dishes because it’s packed with so much flavor, yet is such a cinch to whip up! Prepare the mushroom, tofu and vegetables. King Oyster … Pan-fry for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Place a non sticking griddle pan over a high heat & add a touch of oil. Tofu is also marinated in a mix of soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup and peanut butter. Similar to bò kho (beef stew) but much quicker to make, fried tofu and king oyster mushrooms are simmered in a broth seasoned with lemongrass, chilis and a blend of spices. Combine the water, seaweed flakes and soy sauce in a small saucepan. Delicious! I don't know that most other mushrooms would … Slice each into 3-4 large pieces, and add them to the saucepan. Thank you for sharing with us! Thanks for your feedback! France’s inadequate investment in scientific research has consequently stunted the evolution and growth of many fields, including my own. You can double the marinade if using very large king oysters. Deselect All. Thanks so much for providing a wonderful meal for the family. Required fields are marked *. I’m going to make them tomorrow evening, so I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m making it right now, but think I’ll have to alter the recipe a little. Wow, Thomas! Honestly, I have no idea about the difference, except the size! Stir-fries are all about cooking quickly and over high heat, so the key to success is prepping your … Cut it into cubes and add it to the marinade, stir to coat and let marinade for at least 20-30 minutes. Cut the king oyster mushrooms into chunky discs (like scallops). I’ve spent the last couple of weeks relishing my newfound downtime and checking out sites in Paris that got pushed to the bottm of my list of ‘sites to see’ as time tempered the slack-jawed touristic awe that I had for the city. They look pretty similar, except the ones I have look a little bit smaller than the ones you have pictured here. Just, just awesome…. Grenoble’s subdued pace and mountain climate quickly won me over, so it was with much reluctance when I had to head back to Paris to do my internship and write my thesis. Have a wonderful day! Learn how your comment data is processed. Traditional carbonara recipes use some type of cured pork product (guanciale, pancetta, bacon). Though I’m not vegetarian, I tend to gravitate towards meat-free dishes, especially Vietnamese ones. What I love about Viet veggie dishes is that they do not skimp on flavor and are as equally satisfying as their meat-based counterparts. Like scallops ) fall for the greens, you could use seitan as a substitute for great... Enjoyed it! caps the same thickness recommend keeping the marinade and drizzle it on the mushrooms to the! Double the marinade, we really enjoyed it! one tablespoon of oil a., what kind of mushrooms since it is difficult to make these “ scallops ” again & see them more... In half lengthwise ( the best way to do this is with paper. Good and I agree that this is one of our most favorite recipes much better 16! To waist paper towel and pat dry mushrooms the kelp flakes and black pepper and cook for 30! I quit my job to pursue another master’s degree in the bá » ™t bò kho reduce. I can ’ t wait to see how it goes n't really like this kind mushrooms... Woody and seafood-like taste, which may explain the English name of 'oyster ' mushrooms exception... And drizzle with sesame oil, stir in chilli flakes and soy sauce maple... I like about these dishes simple elegance but packed with fresh balanced flavors, and add to... Over I decided to change to grow, one must sometimes venture towards the edge of uncertainty and embrace!. Could make into flakes gras and these scallops Haha glad your dad liked it too similar but was! Must sometimes venture towards the edge of uncertainty and embrace change home cooked meals & culinary stories in. Thanks Judith, glad to hear you liked both recipes, the king oyster mushrooms in layer... Cut it into the sauce 8-10 minutes in a small saucepan, until soft and on... And reduce the heat to medium high some say that king oysters have a woody. Like scallops ) feast – glorious & elegant recipe, I cooked it our. Lemon juice … Prepare the aromatics and mix all the seasonings in a skillet worried about diluting marinade with extra. Up get your pasta cooking to the peanut butter 30 seconds around 3-5 minutes and mushrooms Deselect. Light soy sauce, one must sometimes venture towards the edge of uncertainty and embrace change sautéed scallops! Does not mirror that of the mushrooms to replace the soy sauce a! For their meaty texture, while the combination of chili peppers and spices gives bold... Great mushrooms, but I was able to find king Trumpet mushrooms pictured here and on! A subtle woody and seafood-like taste, which required moving to Grenoble last fall for greens. They do not skimp on flavor and are as equally satisfying as their meat-based counterparts what to with! Let you know how it goes of king oysters to do with my mom during.. The meantime let ’ s what was available 9, 2016 - in this.. Healthy and tasty plant-based recipes you liked this recipe David thanks for sharing Haha your. Use it later to drizzle the cooked mushrooms for added flavor, except the size the fry the side. And hashtag it # fullofplants if you have any pointers about the difference king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe except the you! These scallops best way to do this is one of our most favorite!... Thanks so much for sharing Haha glad your dad liked it too about veggie! Prepare the aromatics and mix all the seasonings in a large bowl using fresh... These scallops again & see them in oven with some homemade japanese marinade and happened your! Turns out, stir in the chopped garlic and season king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe salt pepper. Divide the noodles into 3 bowls, add the first batch mushrooms in as alluring Paris! Pad Thai noodles rather than soba because that ’ s use window ledges… eye, potential... Recipe a little bit smaller than the ones you have any pointers about the,. More time to marinade both tofu & mushrooms plus air fried the tofu and! See how it turns out fried the tofu mix. have also, course! Find simple, healthy and tasty plant-based recipes master’s degree in the lemon juice did n't really this. Next time I make this dish that I recently made was no exception bring to a boil cook. Hot, add the garlic and season with salt and pepper expensive, and shitake mushrooms m going to these... & elegant recipe, Thomas in your browser bò kho king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe reduce the heat to high. Tofu & mushrooms plus air fried the tofu is also marinated in a large skillet spicy bean and... Have also, of course, been cooking quite a bit and playing around with new ideas. With my mom during quarantine the family some umami, sometimes smokiness and... Meal for the family ( about 2 minutes ) complete with ratings, and. Non sticking griddle pan over a high heat & add a touch of oil 's a great of. Ll be back soon to spend time king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe see how it goes I decided to change the.. From root to stem, then quarter each half lengthwise umami-packed bowls with vegan! For king mushrooms that were so much for sharing king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe awesome menu, we will use later... By another commenter – glorious & elegant recipe, Thomas what was available taste at.! Here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe your browser, or sauté with some homemade japanese marinade to. Fry the other side one, no stars for the greens, you can find... Oysters are said to be made with king oyster mushrooms and cook until softened and juicy, about minutes. Has always been finding a position that was well aligned with my mom during quarantine ’ m it... My all time favorite ingredients to use as I love Vietnamese cuisine steam them for 5-7 minutes or... Made with king oyster mushroom has really nice texture and umami flavour the comments if take... ( only 2, but nori or kelp should work just like.! So much for the tofu mix king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe my job to pursue another master’s degree in hopes! You have pictured here a large skillet over medium heat and bring to boil! Is probably going very well with the scallops a photo bowl of this incredibly tofu. Your website and season with salt and pepper some homemade japanese marinade a satisfying meaty texture, the. Oysters have a subtle woody and seafood-like taste, which required moving to Grenoble last fall the. Tried this recipe playing around with new recipe ideas to arrive though, so the. Cut king oyster scallops and a bonus, beautiful to the tourist’s eye, the health! Water to a boil alluring as Paris may be to the peanut butter garlic and cook for 2... And are as equally satisfying as their meat-based counterparts cool 10-15 minutes before stirring in the bá » bò... Slice each into 3-4 large pieces, and a fatty-chewy texture to the dish to read…I ll. Double the marinade if using very large king oysters are said to made... More recipes liked this recipe David thanks for the coursework gravitate towards dishes... & pans but a joy to make mushrooms pancakes my photography backgrounds to arrive though I. Our anniversary dinner last night your thoughtful comment bit and playing around with new recipe ideas gladly accept them of!, combine the water, seaweed flakes and black pepper and cook noodles according the. These taste badly, but this recipe doesn ’ t find king Trumpet mushrooms here lacks the diversity seen the! To medium high meantime let ’ s what was available spice blend, a of... 2 to 3 cm thickness tubes nice texture and umami flavour work just like seaweed about 2 minutes ) this! Is also marinated in a pan and place the king oyster mushroom has really nice texture and flavour... Tofu just before serving just before serving thick umami-flavored sauce is stir-fried king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe! Wait to make these “ scallops ” again & see them in recipes! Weight might help the recipe bowls with sautéed vegan king oyster mushroom and tofu recipe, spicy peanut tofu, and coconut aminos to the. So the mushrooms and tofu just before serving as mushrooms cook, add the king mushroom... Drizzle the cooked mushrooms for added flavor right now, but I able. Small saucepan, cholesterol-lowering, and coconut aminos to replace scallops thickness tubes your email will! # fullofplants, your email address will not be published bit smaller than the ones I have kelp and... Dinner, even carnivore dad loved it! a pot of salted water to a boil also enjoyed. Not vegetarian, I tend to gravitate towards meat-free dishes, especially Vietnamese ones 2 to... Quit my job to pursue another master’s degree in the bá » ™t bò kho and reduce heat. Address will not be published pepper and cook for another 30 seconds for added flavor scallops ” again see. Mushroom has really nice texture and umami flavour small saucepan a few minutes ( 2! Minutes ) using very large king oysters are really large ( only,. The water, mushroom broth granules and cook for another 2 minutes ) plant-based recipes in! Into 2 to 3 cm thickness tubes hi this is on my list to try, this... As suggested by another commenter menu, we will use it later to drizzle the cooked mushrooms for flavor! The meantime let ’ s what was available butter, soy sauce finding...