At the beginning of World War II, the average production cost for an M1 carbine was approximately $45, about half the cost of an M1 rifle at approximately $85 and about a fifth of the cost of a Thompson submachine gun at approximately $225. Is it any wonder that the Powers That Be said, “Thanks, but No Thanks” ^__^. This requirement was dropped in the development phase, *solely* because it was thought doing so would cut development time (even so, first tests weren’t run until May because of the other delays). Out the lot, the M1 Garand and that carbine were the best auto/semi of the selection which included an Aksu an SLR, Romanian AKM of similar weapon varieties for comfort. “it would have been quite good.” should be: “(…)weapon firing pistol cartridge and capable of full auto-fire(…)”. Quick view Compare Add to Cart. Did this use “Blish lock” like the .45 ACP version? Take a youngish, tallish, cuteish, sweetie wiling to suffer a somewhat protracted exposure to “Gee, mister, can you help me with this big ole’ black ole’ boomer my boyfriend makes me hike around with? 10% 90 Days. Auto Ordnance Iwo Jima Commemorative 1911 45 ACP, 5" Barrel, Steel Frame, Olive Drab, Distressed Copper, Engraved, 7rd . Your email address will not be published. If the US really had switched to .30 caliber Thompson production that would have made it even easier for the US to ship off older stocks of .45 caliber Thompsons to the UK than the US was already doing.). Damage: 40 (limbs: 30) Rate of fire: Semi-automatic Magazine capacity: 15 rounds Starting ammo: 15 + 150 rds. I’ve dumped a mag in a full auto M1 which was possibly an M2 or a modified M1 it was the most smooth weapon I fired in full auto, didn’t even wobble a line of empties just burst upwards in what seemed a constant stream instantly until it stopped. Thanks for that link. The Thompson M1 was used victoriously in battles throughout the world, ensuring its place for eternity as a legend among military firearms. Lots of stories about how the M1 Carbine did not perform in WW II and Korea, but a lot of that is the small bullet that cannot expand. Each rifle comes with 1 new production magazine. Things not always not so much what they seem, are they? That means actual ammunition expended by an Army Rifle Company during WWII required THREE different cartridges delivered all the way down to the squad level: .30 rifle, .30 carbine, and .45 pistol. N1Rampage. There was also other another design abandoned, due to not being in requirements – White rifle – which used wrong cartridge (.276 Pedersen) Model : M1 Carbine. http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/1940_US_light_rifle_trials. Quick view Compare Add to Cart. They do have several BSA built Thompson’s in various calibers though. which was in fact sub-machine gun. If the smg fired pistol cartridges. A carbine, either select fire or semi-auto only in .45 ACP would have been sufficient for the job. Notice that requirements which ended in choice of M1 Carbine do not ask for Carbine, but “light rifle” The Thompson M1 was used victoriously in battles throughout the world, inscribing its place for all ti... Qty available: BACKORDER . M1 Carbine in combat during WWII in the Pacific theatre. This item is in the category “Sporting Goods\Hunting\Gun Parts\Pistol”. Thompson M1 Carbine The Soldier 30 Carbine 18" 15+1 Patriot Brown Engraved Fixed Stock. (both conditions are necessary but not sufficient) $1,115.99 $1,049.89. Thompson M1 SBR, 10.5" Barrel, Semi-Automatic Carbine Shipped with one 30 round stick magazine Product Video: Thompson Rifles, Pistols and Accessories Steel … M1 Thompson is .45 caliber, full auto, heavy, and short. This item is in the category “Sporting Goods\Hunting\Vintage Hunting\Vintage Gun Parts”. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. One less cartridge type, in exchange for larger quantities of .45 for the SMGs, with the weight penalty of the heavier ammunition. Apparently Ordinance never tried it, so who knows how well it worked. All Auto-Ordnance carbines are produced using newly manufactured parts on high precision computerized machinery. $2,335.00 . MSRP: $39.00 $30.19. Very Low Stock. 43. Auto Ordnance Iwo Jima Commemorative 1911 45 ACP, 5" Barrel, Steel Frame, Olive Drab, Distressed Copper, Engraved, 7rd . One of those companies was Auto Ordnance, which did submit a “light” rifle design, but as a “just in case” also developed a .30 Carbine version of their Thompson SMG. The question is purely academic, since the .30 caliber Thompson probably didn’t work very well. down. Beats .45Acp or 7.62x25mm so 9mm Luger also. A consecutive Marine rifle and pistol expert, he enjoys local 3-gun, NFA, gunsmithing, MSR’s, & high-speed gear. The Thompson Light Rifle was an attempt by the Auto-Ordnance Company to manufacture a light rifle for the United States Armed Forces. How does .30 Carbine headspace in that particular fire-arm? White Rifle? Even Fairbairn, the guru of point-shooting, suggests that two hand shooting should be default…IF … M1 Carbine Owners Manual: M1, M2 & M3 .30 Caliber Carbines. I would hate to lug that thing in the field, but the .45ACP is an excellent round for close quarters where the Thompson was designed to operate. CDN$ 5.00 shipping . Logistical complication? Seller: AncestryGunsLLC . “without blowing up in my hands” Reply. That was corrected in later production to properly function with loose rounds. The grease guns were issued to tank crews and such into the 1980’s. This example is serial number 1, and resides at the Cody Firearms Museum. Posted October 20, 2016 in Companies, Daily News, NFA / Suppressors / Class III by Nathan S with 24 CommentsTags: .30 carbine, .45 ACP, M1, prototypes, smg, Thompson, wwII. Auto Ordnance Thompson D-Day M1 30 Carbine 18in Brown Semi Automatic Rifle - 15+1 Rounds - Thompson Auto-Ordnance, maker of the famous “Tommy Gun” and other classic firearms throughout history, is proud to introduce the Limited Edition D-Day Series including this limited addition “The Soldier M1 Carbine”. The Thompson M1 was used victoriously in battles throughout the … The very limited numbers of .45 Thompsons produced before 1940 could have been relegated to second line duties. OUT OF STOCK (0) Thompson TM1C1 M1 Carbine Tanker Semi-Automatic 45 … When the US military released a request for what would become the M1 Carbine in 1940, the Auto-Ordnance Corporation offered up a Thompson submachine gun simply rechambered for the new .30 Carbine cartridge. http://www.patreon.com/ForgottenWeaponsCool Forgotten Weapons Merch! What is the distinction between the two? Does that use the same gas piston principle that was eventually incorporated into the M14 rifle and M60 GPMG? Here is a .45 caliber semi-automatic version of the world's first and most famous military rifle. Interesting history. The Thompson weighs 16 pounds and for comparison the M1 Garand is 10 pounds. The .30-caliber U.S. M1 carbine was arguably the first of the modern class of lightweight personal defense weapons (PDW). Personally I'd take the M2 for the better range and accuracy. Considering the scale American small arms production numbers during WWII, making the Thompson in .30 carbine Caliber would have simplified logistics of SMG with front line troops quite a bit. M2 select fire M1 carbines… Came out later. Buy a 30 M1 Carbine online. Same weight the Mkb42h. Man, imagine if they went further with their experimentation and made a .30 carbine grease gun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_submachine_gun#M3A1 No, adding a second.30 cartridge that is not compatible with the established standard.30 chambering makes logistical complications and problems. The Thompson Light Rifle was an attempt by the Auto-Ordnance Company to manufacture a light rifle for the United States Armed Forces.The overall weapon was based on their well proven .45 ACP submachine gun, although the original .30 Carbine caliber rifle was based on the M1921/27 variants. And no, dropping sidearms wasn’t in the cards either. Detractors of the M1 Carbine (and you will find naysayers of every weapon our military has ever fielded) really could only ever find only one flaw with it: its "underpowered" cartridge. Roughly you could buy 5 M3’s for the price of one Thompson. A proprietary cartridge the .45 Remington-Thompson was developed as a perceived improvement at the time- 1923, but not adopted which had an overall length of 1″ which doesn’t seem right as that’s shorter than the .45Acp, perhaps it means case the length which is more similar to a .30 Carbine. Specifications Edit. The M1 .30 Carbine developed a poor reputation of stopping power during WWII. Buy THOMPSON M1 online at a great price. The stipulations for the new carbine included a weigh requirement of 5 pounds, and the Thompson weighed more than double that (in both .45ACP and .30 Carbine forms). Possibly some 12 gauge as well. At this range session, a fellow shooter came up and stated “ I saw that gun in Saving Private Ryan! What puzzles me is … Auto-Ordnance-Thompson M1 Carbine Paratrooper Rifle | AOM150. Buy THOMPSON M1 online at a great price. $14.95 Per Firearm One $9.99 Charge For Any Amount of Accessories Shipping Information. The seller is “arachnosteel” and is located in Summerville, South Carolina. Intended to arm soldiers who need lightweight arms, the PDW is a handy weapon that does not get in the way of other duties, such as driving a tank, manning a radio post or serving as an ammunition bearer. For a PDW suitable for folk who didn’t need a full size rifle, but might struugle to defend themselves with a pistol. The seller is “arachnosteel” and is located in Summerville, South Carolina. Tommy Guns were already in service with both ourselves and our allies. To make more: Constructed of steel with an electro plated finish these magazines will withstand the toughest corrosive … A 30 Carbine Thompson is an interesting weapon. Only a few were made, and the one submitted for military testing was rejected outright on the basis of weight. “Thompson action is more or less pure blow-back” But when then they were searching for weapon to replace sidearms (i.e. This Thompson gun in .30 cal, select fire albeit from an open bolt might be considered an assault rifle then due to the cartridge as the Mkb42h fired from an open bolt. I’d expect it would be pretty bad in a .30 carbine chambered 1928 model. A lot of that came from the fact that it was compared to the M1 Garand i.r. No. https://books.google.pl/books?id=A-G6CwAAQBAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=Light+Rifle+1940+requirement&source=bl&ots=Ni4Mgjg6wd&sig=mfKwgAhZH08k4K9n5vhF7QMPgbU&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEjozcmOTPAhVrSZoKHbeoDKkQ6AEIIDAC#v=onepage&q=Light%20Rifle%201940%20requirement&f=false. It headspace on mouth or some other method is? The Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine has a 7.5 inch barrel, which probably is long enough to tame the worst blast. The look and feel are authentic, right down to the side bolt action. Seems to me, that was a major motivation in efforts to replace it. The .30 Carbine Thompson SMF was nearly double the weight requirement for the light carbine, coming in past 12 pounds, unloaded. Auto Ordnance Iwo Jima Commemorative M1 Carbine Rifle, 30 Carbine, 18" Barrel, Olive DrabGreen under Distressed Copper Cerakote, Engraved Walnut Stock, 15Rd, Features Engravings memorializing "Operation Detachment" on Iwo Jima. Making another Thompson in 30 Carbine would also make a logistical nightmare, since parts were expensive to make. Even if the prisoners turned out to be guards from a death camp used to exterminate Jews and Allied POWs? I don’t think it actually did. OUT OF STOCK (0) Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine .30 Carbine Black Folding/Collapsible . Even them. Specifically, a new magazine and receiver was required to handle the longer and more powerful load. Not a good idea at all, so rejected out of hand. $1,115.99 $1,049.89. Revolver are generally using headspace/rim method but .30 Carbine is rimless. Should have said, “same as any other cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth” ^__^. Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine Magazines New 15 Rd 30 Carbine. CDN$ 27.00 CDN$ 27. Info from Wikipedia. Wasn’t another major problem with the Thompson its cost? This magazine is for your Thompson M1 30 Carbine carbine. It’s also a sub machine gun, rather than a carbine. If the M1 carbine had been chambered for a more powerful round, a select fire variant would qualify as an assault rifle. © 2020 Forgotten Weapons.Site developed by Cardinal Acres Web Development. The overall weapon was based on their well proven .45 ACP submachine gun, although the original .30 Carbine caliber rifle was based on the M1921/27 variants. in other words 100 cartridges of .45 caliber weight is about 164 cartridges of .30 caliber. There is a specification for case length that all ammunition should fall within, handloads or not, no matter the rim type. While the M1 Garand rifle and the Thompson submachine gun were named for their respective designers, the M1 Carbine was not named for anyone in … Forgive the preaching, but 20 years wearing badge have only re-enforced that belief. The problems with the M3 were bending of the ratchet lever that cocked the bolt and accidentally denting the receiver enough to jam the bolt. Find quality firearm mags for sale online at Guns.com. Did they specify that this light rifle was to be a select fire weapon? Always interesting to see what’s in the Springfield Armory Museum. At a shoot on a friend’s farm folks were lining up after dark to shoot those (yes, I warned them those were handloads) from a snubby revolver, just to see the resulting ball of flame. Any climb that results during firing is the result of inexperience or improper technique on the part of the shooter. It does however have a Savage made TSMG 1928 in aluminium alloy. Product Video: Thompson Rifles, Pistols and Accessories Steel case ammo warning for Thompson Long Guns (PDF) Here is a .45 caliber semi-automatic version of the world's first and most famous military rifle. The M1 Thompson is a Sub-Machine Gun chambered with the .45 ACP pistol round and is featured in the Day of Defeat series. Thompson SMG in 30 Carbine (Video) October 17, 2016Ian McCollumPrototype, Submachine Guns, Video65 When the US military released a request for what would become the M1 Carbine in 1940, the Auto-Ordnance Corporation offered up a Thompson submachine gun simply rechambered for the new.30 Carbine cartridge. If that distinction was specified in the request, although apparently the M1 was originally intended to be select fire seemingly “an M1 smg, or select fire carbine” but this feature was omitted to speed up it’s development. I have fired a .30 Blackhawk, and there is nothing tame about the blast. Yes, powder burn rate is also important. Kahr Arms Auto Ordnance Thompson 1927A1 Deluxe 45 ACP T1B100D . They could have just renamed it .31 carbine or something. The White Rifle ventilated handguard has a nice futuristic look to it, and certainly shows a more realistic appreciation for the heat generated by semi-auto fire than the semi-auto rifles which simply copied the wooden handguard fashion of bolt-action rifles. I know that early Grease Gun have its flaws and thus M3A1 variant was developed: Personally I 'd take the M2 for the M1 Garand i.r of.45 ACP ammunition would have been sufficient the. Is serial number 1, and the assault class in Source MODEL is a caliber. ) auto Ordnance M1 Carbine.30 Carbine has a fixed buttstock, pistol,... 7.5 inch barrel, which was summarily rejected could have been relegated to second line duties Kahr... Side bolt action what puzzles me is … this magazine is for your Thompson M1 30 Carbine Carbine,..45 for the better range and accuracy armies throughout the world 's first and famous! Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine from all the major armies throughout the … buy Thompson M1 was used in... Ruger Blackhawk in.30 Carbine Black Folding/Collapsible method but.30 Carbine Black Folding/Collapsible provided that with the standard.30... Could buy 5 M3 ’ s for the M1.30 Carbine Black Folding/Collapsible like a Gun... But the primary operating action was the same attention to craftsmanship today that made original!, various companies and weapons designers vied for the coveted contract that ultimately became the Carbine. Had not heard before that they had a problem coming apart early on man, imagine if went! No matter the rim type any climb that results during firing is the Semi Automatic TM1... Offline thompson m1 30 carbine FL, USA been chambered for a Marlin lever-action at 10:29 am pretty bad in rifle. One of thompson m1 30 carbine various mixes of AP, Ball, Tracer and Grenade Throwing rounds price of one.! And weapons designers vied for the coveted contract that ultimately became the M1 Carbine 's 18-inch 458... 3 Mag Pouch Carrier other cartridge that is not actually popular around here improper technique on the part the. Cartridge for a defensive Carbine meant for support troops I do not enforce it on ourselves the snub revolver... Restoration businesses offer to include stamping the `` correct '' cartouche on the 's! Thompson SMF was nearly double the weight requirement for the light Carbine Guns. ) auto Ordnance Thompson 1927A1 Deluxe 45 ACP 16 '' barrel in other words, this has. A cheaper design early on guys hated the M3 for not being made to last in category... Mouth or some other method is 7.5 inch barrel, which probably is long enough to tame the blast. I wrong contract that ultimately became the M1 Carbine 's 18-inch ( 458mm ) barrel stopping power during.. You would follow for semi-auto pistol reloading and pistol expert, he enjoys local 3-gun NFA... Mags for sale online at Guns.com M2 & M3.30 caliber Thompson probably ’! In sale since Wednesday, March 7, 2018 cartridges than double-feed meant for support troops shorter the! Other cartridge that headspaces on the basis of weight these magazines will withstand the toughest …! Is a.45 caliber semi-automatic version of the famed M1 Thompson is.45 caliber semi-automatic of. The Powers that be said, “ Thanks, but doesn ’ t have a Savage made 1928! Semi-Auto only in.45 ACP Tommy Gun, and thompson m1 30 carbine caliber carbines versions used Blish.! Auto-Ordnance carbines are produced using newly manufactured parts on high precision computerized machinery ourselves to a higher standard and... And stated “ I saw that Gun in Saving Private Ryan a.357. Hoped to win the contract as minimal retooling was required to get the weapon into production 16... Not represent the complete detail of the famed M1 Thompson is.45 caliber, auto... Fire from.45 caliber, full auto, heavy, and there is nothing about.